Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Complaints About Apo-Salvent 100 µG CFC Free Brand of Salbutamol Inhaler

According to the Ontario Drug Benefit Formulary, Apo-Salvent brand of salbutamol inhaler is considered "interchangeable" to the Ventolin brand. Therefore, in Ontario, when a doctor prescribes Ventolin, Apo-Salvent can be dispensed instead since the Ontario government has deemed both equivalent in active ingredient, mechanism of action, and most inportantly effectiveness within a small margin of error.

However, when I am working at my full-time store or my part-time stores, I encounter numerous complaints about the Apo-Salvent brand of salbutamol inhaler relative to the Ventolin brand. In a nutshell, patients complain that it does not work as effectively per puff as the Apotex brand does not relief their asthma symptoms as well. Patients also complain of failing mechanisms preventing the puffs from being dispensed properly as well as having the puffer run out of puffs well before the number marked on the box. Interestingly, patients have never compained about the Ratio brand of salbutamol inhaler.

Whether these reports are true or not, a simple solution for patients complaining about the Apotex brand is to purchase the Ventolin brand of inhaler since the cost difference is negligible. Please post your comments if you have had issues with this Apotex brand!

5 comments:

  1. I also have an apo-salvent 100 µG inhaler and find that it does not work. Compared with my old Ratio salbutamol inhaler, which worked quickly, the Apotex inhaler has little if any effect and it also tastes terrible. I plan to replace it with either a Ratio or Ventolin-brand inhaler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have just got the Apo inhaler and on the first go it just dribbled a few drops of liquid no puffs came out . I used the 2nd one I had and the puff is very weak I had to use 4 puffs to feel any benefits and 2hours later needed it again .
    Not happy at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been complaining to doctors and pharmacists since I have been getting this brand. The puffer consistently loses its puff well before the medication inside is empty and I therefore end up trying to get multiple small puffs at a time. This past visit to the pharmacy I was told that I was ordering more puffers sooner than I should be. Because of the inferior inhalers I am going through more than I would with the Ventolin inhalers that my health benefit provider does not want to pay for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nowhere near as effective as genuine Ventolin. Puffer dosage seems inconsistent. I bought this puffer today as a stop-gap and it will go to the back of the medicine drawer at home. WOFTAM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its really awful... shouldn't be sold as a rescue inhaler at all - just dangerous for someone who needs the medicine.

    ReplyDelete