Friday, November 26, 2010

A Taste of Victory

Last Friday, on the 19th of November, I attended a Raptors home game against the Houston Rockets. Then, at an abysmal 3-9 record, the Raps were hurting for a win. Fortunately, they came out on top in convincing fashion with a 106-96 win. As the clock ticked down to 0 in the fourth, I screamed at the top of my lungs, "FREE PIZZA!" We all know that when the Raps score more than 100 points in a home game regardless of winning or losing, the fans attending the game at the ACC (Air Canada Centre) receive a free slice of pizza at Pizza Pizza. Winning is just icing on the cake :). So I cashed in on these free pizza slices the next day... and you know what? They tasted like victory!

You know what else tasted like victory? The food that I had the night after the game. When downtown, I can't think of better places to go to than Burrito Boyz and Smoke's Poutinerie for late night munchies. How convenient that they are both located in the same building? I went downstairs first to devour a halibut burrito at Burrito Boyz.



After that, I went upstairs to Smoke's and picked up a large poutine. I opted to go with the classic combination of fries, Quebec cheese curds, and gravy. While extras such as bacon or sausage make poutine that much heartier, often they take away from the simplicity of poutine that makes it so darn good.

I was having a bit of difficulty in finishing my poutine. I wasn't sure if it was because I just demolished a halibut burrito or the fact that I wasn't too fond of the herbal-esque quality of the gravy. Don't get me wrong, I would return to Smoke's in a heartbeat but I'm not entirely sold on this signature gravy. In my opinion, it needs to be meatier. Perhaps, this is why I prefer the gravy at Poutini's House of Poutine at Queen Street West, where the owners pride themselves on traditional gravy made in-house everyday by roasting bones and fresh vegetables. These ingredients are simmered for at least 8 hours, and from that comes a thickened, seasoned gravy.



Regardless, I am just ecstatic that there are pioneer poutine joints popping up in Toronto. Keep them coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment